The research team is led by Paul Starkey (Team Leader) and Peter Njenga (Project Manager). Paul has many years of experience as an international consultant in rural transport. Peter is a transport planner and the Executive director of IFRTD. Team members include Dr Kenneth Odero, Dr Musyimi Mbathi, Guy Kemtsop and Shedrack Willilo. All team members favour a collaborative, networking approach.
Project Consultative Group
An international and multi-disciplinary Project Consultative Group has been formed, comprising a variety of people with relevant knowledge and experience. The members of the group are:
- Abdul Awadh, Transport Consultant, Tanzania
- Priyanthi Fernando, Director, Centre for Poverty Analysis (CEPA), Sri Lanka
- John Hine, Senior Transport Economist, IT Transport, Tanzania
- Elizabeth Jones, Senior Infrastructure Adviser, Growth Research Team, DFID, UK
- Christian Kingombe, Chief Regional Integration Officer, African Development Bank, Tunisia
- Camilla Lema, Senior Transport Specialist, SSATP, World Bank, USA
- Rahab Mundara, Resident Representative, Interface for Cycling Expertise (I-CE), Kenya
- Jane Ndirangu, Consultant Transport Engineer, Kenya
- Gina Porter, Senior Research Fellow, Department of Anthropology, University of Durham, UK
- Peter Roberts, Transport Engineer (retired, ex DFID and World Bank), UK
The project team wish to develop wider contacts with other people interested in rural transport services and the development of appropriate indicators. People who have ideas or experience related to transport services and indicators, or who know of relevant documents, are encouraged to contact the Team Leader. Organisations in Africa working on rural transport are encouraged to collaborate with the team in the development and testing of the methodology and the use and validation of the preliminary indicators.